A Time Line

1923
The Ansgar Congregation is formed; it may be informal but it is there.
1928 to 1930
Pastor Elias Marius Favrholdt.
1932 to 1933
Pastor Jørgen Nielsen.
1932
The Ansgar Congregation purchases the property at the intersection of 19th Avenue and Burns Street (now Prince Albert Street) in Vancouver.
1933 to 1935
The Ansgar Congregation lies dormant.
1935 to 1945
Pastor Clemens Sørensen.
1936
The first female Board member, Mrs. Bergmann, is elected.
1936
The Ladies Auxiliary begins its work—including the first Bazaar in the Fall of 1936.
September 1936
The first confirmation class begins.
September 28th, 1936
Our church, The Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church of Vancouver, B.C., is incorporated under the Society Act of British Columbia.
May 8th, 1937
The first funeral: Professor Carl Brink Christensen who was central in the efforts of building a Danish church is buried from the half-finished church.
May 1937
The Ladies Auxiliary provides money for an organ.
August 15th, 1937
Consecration of our first building, Saint Ansgar Church.
1938
The Nomination Committee is instituted and Alternates for the Board are elected.
1938
The Sunday School begins.
1940
Our newsletter, Kirkebladet, has a circulation of 500.
1944
By 1944 our name has been shortened to its present form, The Danish Lutheran Church of Vancouver, B.C.
1944
The building debt is finally paid off.
1945 to 1950
Pastor Rudolph Arendt.
1945
We purchase the parsonage on 19th Avenue: a house across the street from the church.
1946
Our newsletter, Kirkebladet, has a circulation of about 650.
1947
We add a cornerstone to our framed church.
1950
We struggle hard with the language question and our affiliation and identity in general.
1950
The New Ladies Auxiliary begins its work.
1950
The parsonage is paid in full: the church is again debt free.
1950’ies
Many new immigrants arrive from Denmark.
1951 to 1959
Pastor Peder Kronborg.
1956
We buy a new organ.
1959 to 1966
Pastor Arnold Vang.
1963
The first budget.
1963
The Sunday School Auxiliary begins its work.
1965
The Danish–Canadian Community Centre of British Columbia is formed; our church is a member.
1966
We buy the property Granly from Pastor Arnold Vang and continue his mission in Surrey.
June 19th, 1966
Consecration of Granly Church.
1966 to 1979
Pastor Immanuel Rasmussen.
September 30th, 1967
Their Royal Highnesses Princess Margrethe of Denmark and Prince Henrik visit our church.
1968 to 1975
Assistant Pastor Jens Hansen.
1969
We begin selling raffle tickets for the Bazaar.
1969
The Danish Christmas, Easter, and Thanksgiving services in Nanaimo begin.
1972
Thorvaldsen’s Statue of Christ on the altar is installed.
1973
Royal Copenhagen donates 100 sets of cup, saucer, and plate; the East Asiatic Company donates the transportation.
1975
We sell 3 acres of land in Surrey for $120,000.
1979 to 1986
Pastor Jens Arendt.
1980
Church Coffee following the service is instituted.
1980
We begin using a folder with the Order of Service.
October 14th, 1984
Consecration of our second building.
February 22nd, 1985
Granly becomes a separate congregation.
March 23rd, 1985
Our church bell is installed.
May 5th, 1985
The Queen’s monogram over the main entrance is installed.
1985
Together with Granly we publish the very successful Danish Heritage Cookbook.
1986
We buy a new electronic organ.
1986 to 1991
Pastor Svend Faarvang.
1987
A platter with a picture of our church is made on occasion of our church’s 50th anniversary.
1989
The monthly Church Lunch is instituted.
1989
We pay off our building debt.
1991 to 2004
Pastor Kai Glud.
October 16th, 1991
Her Majesty Queen Margrethe II of Denmark and His Royal Highness Prince Henrik visit our church.
1999
We publish our hymnal, Grant me, God, the Gift of Singing, of English translations of (mostly) Danish hymns.
2000
This web site is launched.
2001
The Pre-Service Church Breakfast is instituted.
2001
The New Ladies Auxiliary reaches out to the men of the church changing its name to the New Auxiliary.
2003
Resen Church near Skive donates a pipe organ to us.
2004
We begin using the dolmen on the front lawn as a Scattering Garden and we build the Memorial Walk.
2004 to 2006
Pastor Søren Kristoffersen.
2004
Together with Granly we publish our Best of Danish Heritage Cookbook and more.
2006 to 2012
Pastor Bodil Toftdahl.
2006
Det Kongelige Vajsenhus donates 150 copies of the 2003 edition of the Danish hymnal, Den Danske Salmebog. Harry Ravensgaard of Möbler Furniture in Richmond donates the transportation.
April 25th, 2008
Her Royal Highness Princess Benedikte of Denmark visits our church.
2010–2012
We extend the kitchen and install an elevator.
2012 to present
Pastor Birgitte Saltorp.
2014
We pay off our debt after the Kitchen & Lift Project.